Help With a Federal Agency
One of the most important things I do as a U.S. Representative is to help people with federal casework. Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene on a person's behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape.
Individuals residing in the 4th Congressional District of Tennessee can contact my office for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. In order to assist you, I will need you to complete a privacy authorization form to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act. Please complete the printable version of the privacy authorization form below and then fax or mail it to the address listed under the completed form.
Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:
- Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
- VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
- Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
- Your address, home phone number or daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
- Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;
The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.
The Privacy Act of 1974 requires a signed consent form must be returned to Representative Scott DesJarlais to allow for the viewing of personal files and information. The information includes, but is not limited to, medical records relative to the injury. Please allow a minimum of 30 to 45 days to receive an initial response.
Understand that Congressman DesJarlais cannot circumvent agency rules, force a decision in your favor, or change a decision that has been finalized.